Monday, May 21, 2012

My 'I Love Summer' Post

I love summer.  I do.  Actually, I used to love summer much more than I do now.  I think as I get older, the less I enjoy the extreme heat out here.  I should clarify that it's the early days of summer that I love.  Those days in May and early June, where we are "eased" into the heat of summer.  Temps in the 90s and maybe the occasionally century mark and the feel of the heat on my skin feels good.  Tank tops.  Short shorts.  Pretty sundresses with spaghetti straps.  Sun-kissed skin.  The days before it stays so hot and you are just "over it."  I love summer until it's mid-July and it's been 110 out all month long and I get into my car and burn my legs on my seat and then I slide out from the sweat and then I think to myself, "I just HAD to have the leather seats, right?"  I should have listened to the kids when I bought this car.  They're the ones that remember what leather seats feel like in the summer....Anyway, it's not even the end of May, yet, and we haven't really been "eased" into summer.  It just kind of appeared.  Mother's Day graced us with 107.  And although temps have dipped only slightly since then, it looks like summer is here.  Today was a balmy (not) 109.  It's May.  Hello Summer.  

But, I do love summer.  And for the last two years, I have made my "annual" Summer To-Do List.  Things I want or need to do over the summer.  And since now school is officially out for me, I am now putting together my list.  I'm excited.  Here's just a few things that are on this summer's list:

Go to the beach.  As many times as I can.
Get a job.  At least part-time.  I really need to do this.
Bake a peach pie.  Or two.  
Watch lots of movies and eat popcorn with my girls.  
Watch the sunset on the beach.  
Catch a couple of Padres games.
Staycation at La Quinta Resort.
Clean out closets.
Have a garage sale.  
Make lots of strawberry lemonade slushies (none of that McDonald's crap....we use Trader Joe's Organic Reduced sugar lemonade, fresh strawberries and ice.  Yum!)

My pleasure reading for the summer (which one to start with?):

There's one more that's not shown...50 Shades of Grey..yes, I will be reading that, too.   



And not so much for pleasure reading, but a must for a head start for Nursing 2:


There's more fun on my "to-do" list...it's just in my head somewhere and hasn't quite made it out onto paper...

Last summer I was addicted to three different salads.  This hot weather makes me crave cool, refreshing, healthy yummy things to eat.  So, I will share my addictions:

  • Arugula, fresh basil (thinly sliced), extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Yum!

I don't particularly like to eat at Tommy Bahama's but they do have a great Asian slaw side that they serve.  I tried recreating it and then finally googled it...here it is:

  • Shredded green cabbage, thinly sliced jicama, flat leaf parsley, evoo, fresh lime juice, salt and pepper.  Love this.  With seared ahi or even as a side with Mexican food. 

And finally...
  • Watermelon (cubed), fresh mint, feta cheese, fresh lime juice, evoo, salt and pepper.  So refreshing.  So good!  
So, as I mentioned, school's out for me.  I did  it.  I got through Nursing 1.  Took my final this morning and thought I was so prepared.  Didn't get the grade I really wanted, but, I am getting over it.  I learned so much.  I am doing something I never in a million years thought I would be doing.  The thought of next semester is terrifying to me.  So I just won't think about that right now.  

I think I'll just start enjoying summer.  Starting now. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment