Thursday, December 8, 2011

It's The Most Wonderful Time of Year...

I've been a little out of sorts lately.  My computer seemed to have a virus (after trying to download a "free" livestream of a Cowboys game....word of caution...DON'T DO IT!).  Seems to be ok for the most part now, but last Sunday, it threw me for a loop.  I had major amounts of things to do that required my computer and I had nothing.  Not to mention that the Cowboys ended up losing that game anyway.  Also, I seem to have been writing like crazy.  Just coming off of writing my life story in summary on this blog, I wrote a six page paper on violence in children's t.v. programming, another "autobiography" for my psych class and now working on another essay for a grant I am applying for.  A little worn/burnt out, just a bit. 

When thinking about what my next blog post would be about, I was planning to write about how this is not the most wonderful time of year for me.  I know it's tough for many people in some way or another.  It's not a depressing or lonely time for me.  When I walked into Macy's before Thanksgiving (how 'bout early November), I instantly felt anxiety with all the Christmas decorations out and the gift sets, etc. all displayed.  This time of year always makes me anxious.  What to buy for who?  How much money do we have to spend?  Planning parties.  Sending out cards.  It's all a little overwhelming sometimes. There seems to be a lot of pressure; or maybe I put too much pressure on myself.  I try to start early.  The year we moved to Oklahoma, I had everything done before Thanksgiving (since we moved Thanksgiving weekend).  I did all my shopping online before we left.  I addressed cards in the car.  It was a beautiful thing.

Anyway, today I had a bit of an epiphany.  I went hiking with a friend.  First time I've been up Bump & Grind in six weeks.  And boy have I been feeling it.  Getting out and getting some exercise and talking with him and he just saying very simple but sensible things to me, seemed to make all the difference in the world.  I love to be able to give and be together with friends.  I love the beauty of the season.  That is what's important to focus on.

On the schedule for next week:  One final, two parties (that I am planning/having) and a grant application and essay due and hoping I can get some teacher gifts done up (geez...school's out a week from tomorrow!)...yep, I am a little overwhelmed.  But, I'm making my list (and checking it twice.)   And breathing.  Wine helps, too. I am determined to enjoy every minute of this beautiful time of year. 

Tomorrow's another day...looking forward to marking more stuff off the list.  Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment