Sunday, January 1, 2012

Well Hello 2012....

Hello 2012.  Boy, did you get here fast...


I intended to write this post yesterday...to kind of wrap up the year and about what New Year's Eve means to me, but the day got away from me.  


The holidays are always a little emotional for me.  On Christmas Eve, as we were walking down Candy Cane Lane, I suddenly got choked up.  Sounds crazy, but I suddenly had memories of Christmastime in El Paso.  My dad owned a clothing store downtown.  I was remembering walking to the Plaza Park and admiring all the decorations and tree.  And walking through the Popular department store and thinking how beautiful it looked.  It was exciting to me and I would sometimes imagine that I was transported to New York City.  I wondered if this was what New York looked like at that time of year.  (Yes, I know, I said crazy...comparing El Paso, Texas to New York City??)


Anyway....


New Years is always a little sentimental for me, as well.  A lot sentimental.  I have such great memories of ringing in the new year with my family.  My mom and dad always threw great New Years parties.  I can remember my mom getting dressed up and always looking so beautiful.  Great food, Pilo the Bartender, lots of my parents friends.  It was always a great time.  I can remember, maybe my senior year, going to a party with my friends, and feeling so awkward that I was not at home celebrating with my family.  It didn't seem right.  So, now...each year, I think back about those times...and it makes me a little teary, but in a good way.  New Years Eve was followed by New Years Day...complete with hangovers, leftovers and good college football all day long.  (Back in the day when there were only about 5 bowl games and they were all played on New Year's Day...I miss that). Those were good, good times.  


I have mixed emotions about how I like to spend New Years now.  Sometimes, I think how I would love to get dressed up and go out...something we haven't done in years.  But, each time I consider it, I think how I don't want to be away from my kids on this night.  So, our ringing in the New Year has consisted of being with just one or or two other couples and their kids or just hanging here at home.  And it's been just right.


Last night we did venture out and went to a friend's house.  There were about 30 of us (kids included).  Unfortunately, Craig was home, pretty sick.  He was supposed to work, but didn't even do that.  We had a great time and now I am happy to say that I have a 17 year old designated driver, so all was good.  Came home and woke Craig up to give him a New Years kiss.


It's amazing to me at how fast this year has flown by.  This time last year, we had just been approved to short sell our home and were packing.  We moved in January.  It's been a good year for us.  Craig was given a promotion.  I was finally accepted in the nursing program.  The girls are happy and doing well in school.  We are all healthy.  And for the latter, we can't ask for more than that, right?


And about resolutions:


I make fewer resolutions as I get older.  Some of them are repeats from the year before....but here's a little bit of what I'd like to do/change:


Drink more water.
Stop making excuses of why I can't work out.
Have more patience with my offspring.
Be a little less connected to my phone and be more in the moment with what is happening around me.
Worry less.
Stop doubting the possibilities.  
Be less hard on myself.  


I've made some mistakes and learned a few lessons this year...the hard way.  I've learned that sometimes I need to keep my mouth shut and think twice before I do something that will ultimately be something very stupid.  I have learned to not react in the heat of the moment...to take a moment...sleep on it and cool off.  I am hoping I can resolve to keep all this in mind in the new year.


It doesn't matter how old we get, we will all manage to do something we can learn from. Make the mistake, but learn from it.  Move on.  Be a better person for it.  A good mantra.


So, cheers to 2012.  I know there are BIG positive, beautiful things in store for all of us this year.  I can't wait...bring it on!









No comments:

Post a Comment