Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year

It's hard to believe that another year has come and gone.  I just re-read a post that I wrote on New Year's last year and it seems like it was just yesterday. 

2012 has been a really good year.  Many great things have happened, along with some challenges. 

I began my first year of nursing school in January.  There is no one word that can describe this journey of going back to school.  Exciting.  Scary.  Amazing.  Daunting.  I am continually motivated and encouraged by nurses who are working who relay stories of feeling the same way my fellow classmates and I feel about what we are going through.  I have made some wonderful new friendships along the way.  New sisters and brothers with whom we all share this bond.  I've met people who have come and gone from my life, too, during this process, and I'm not going to lie:  It's made me sad to lose some friends with whom I felt had a connection.  Doesn't matter how old we get, still hurts. 

Along the road of 2012, Chandler broke her nose and Craig rolled a golf cart and had a nasty injury to his lower leg.  Chandler had surgery and Craig was darn lucky, to say the least.

We had a fun cheer season, traveling with super fun parents, who know how to have a great time and make the best of every situation!

This year, I was fortunate to be able to visit with old friends.  Whether it was catching up for 30 minutes at a cheer competition, or for a few hours with margaritas, poolside.  Or for 10 minutes at a tailgate orlunch or spending a weekend together.  I am grateful for true friendships and for those who make the time and go out of their way to make the connection happen.  And not to mention the priceless moments with good girlfriends here...laughing til we cry.  Yes, I've had a broken heart or two this year, but these moments make up for them ten-fold. 

We took a wonderful trip to Lake Tahoe in July.  It was a perfectly wonderful vacation, complete with good family time, horseback riding and lots of time on the lake.  And seeing old friends again.
We made a few day trips to the beach and soaked up every bit of being in the sun and sand.

And how can I forget going to Dallas Cowboys Training Camp??  Woot woot!

Rylee turned 13 and Chandler turned 18.  Chandler registered and voted in her first election.  And got her first job.  It was all very exciting. 

I was awarded over $6000 in scholarships for nursing school, which took me by complete surprise.  What a blessing that was for us....

In November, Chandler and I traveled to Norman for a campus visit of OU.  An awesome trip all around. 

Sure, we had our not so shining moments, too.  There has been stress and feelings of not being so much at peace with various things.  But, overall, it's been a very positive year for our family...and we must all recognize the positive, because it is too easy to let the other fester and take over.

I read my new year's resolutions from last year and I regret to say that I wasn't so successful at keeping most of them.  So, this year, I keep trying.  And for the new year, something new for us to do:  I have a little box with a notepad in it.  Each time something good or positive comes along our way, we will write it down and put it in the box.  At the end of the year, we will sit and read about them together.  I am so looking forward to that.  A great way to focus on the positive through the year.

I might add that 2013 is a big year for us:

Rylee will finish middle school.  Chandler will graduate from high school.  Craig turns the big 5-0.  We will celebrate our 20th anniversary and I will wrap up the year when I graduate from nursing school!!  Wow! 

Can hardly wait! 


No comments:

Post a Comment